Friday, September 9, 2011

Punkeydoodle

Did your parents call you Punkeydoodle? Probably not, because it's weird. But mine did, and while I can't say, "I've always wondered where that came from," I was nonetheless very surprised to come across the name in reading.  As I was researching my family history I read the following passage in a book about rural   Ontario called Country Roads: The Story of South Easthope:

     One of the oddest (and funniest) names in the province is Punkeydoodle's Corner at the point where three townships (South Easthope, Wilmot and East Zorra) and three counties (Perth, Waterloo, and Oxford) meet.  The origin of the name seems to be tied to a Mr. Zurbrucken who, probably coming late from his pumpkin patch whistling Yankee Doodle, seems to have become victim of his irate wife's mixing of the two as Punkeydoodle.  Many versions of this story have developed over the years. (Hagarty, 6)



(For other versions of the origin see the wikipedia page.)


Punkeydoodle's Corners lies some ten to twelve miles east of Stratford, ON, the birthplace of my great-great grandfather on my father's side.  It seems then that, as odd as it sounds, Punkeydoodle is a term of endearment that has been in my family for six generations.  This is corroborated by my mother's claim that she learned it from my father.  It could be further corroborated by my father's immediate family (I welcome any comments for or against).  Anyway, parents make great fools of themselves with all the nonsensical things they say to small children and as I plan to have children I would welcome any possibility at holding on to my dignity.  Having a family tradition to pass on, silly as it is, may be one way to do that.

References:

Hagarty, Jim. Country Roads: The Story of South Easthope. South Easthope History Book Committee, 2000. Book.

1 comment:

  1. I always thought it was Bunkydoodle, and besides Reganooniecartoonie, this is actually my favorite name Mom and Dad called me.

    ReplyDelete