Monday, July 15, 2013

A Talk at Camp Hinckley

The following is a talk I gave at my Stake's Young Women's camp the week of July 4th.  A few important points of context: First, the location of the talk was the amphitheater which they refer to as the Sacred Grove.  Second, each day's lessons share a theme, and that day's theme was love.  Third, some parts may seem disjointed because the questions were not rhetorical; each question involved receiving answers and comments from the audience. So, without further ado:


Good afternoon.  Today is July 4th, our nation’s Independence Day.  It also happens to be the 150th anniversary of the battle of Gettysburg, which occurred from July 3rd through July 5th 1863. Who can say a bit about the Battle of Gettysburg and why it was fought? So in honor of our nation’s Independence Day and the Battle of Gettysburg I would like to share a speech made by Abraham Lincoln when he visited the Gettysburg battlefield to dedicate the cemetery for the soldiers who had died there.  You have probably heard the first words of it before,“Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.”
Now, before I continue I would like to talk a little bit about this introduction.  First off, does anyone know what the words “four score and seven” mean? What was President Lincoln referring to? Why did the Founding Fathers want to separate themselves from Britain? What were some of the reasons they gave in the Declaration of Independence?
So in 1776 the Founding Fathers dedicated themselves and their country to the precepts of liberty.  They didn’t just say that liberty was a nice thing.  They put everything on the line to make this country free.  In the last sentence of the Declaration of Independence they wrote, “And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.”  And then they signed it, and stood by it, and some of them lost the things they promised to give in order to make their free country a reality.
Why would they do that?  I understand that your theme today is love.  Well, these men had a special kind of love.  They had it for their country, for their principles, and for their God.  We call that love devotion.  Devotion makes us dedicated.  It makes us willing to sacrifice anything we must to see the object of our devotion survive.
By no coincidence do we find these men in this place at that time.  They were led there by God.  In the Book of Ether we read, “And now, we can behold the decrees of God concerning this land, that it is a land of promise; and whatsoever nation shall possess it shall serve God, or they shall be swept off.”  So because the Founding Fathers devoted themselves to God and His principles by guaranteeing all citizens the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, as a direct result of their devotion God helped them in the insurmountable task of defeating the world’s strongest military force, and those who refused to obey God were swept off.
            We can learn a valuable lesson here.  When we make devoted sacrifices, when we give our all to a righteous cause, God will reward us by applying His Son’s atoning sacrifice which, in turn, purifies our own sacrifice, giving our devotion real power.  Such were the men and women who, against staggering odds, made this country free.  They did it with God’s help, and He helped them because they gave everything.
            Coming back to President Lincoln’s speech, he said, “Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure.”  Make no mistake; we can lose the blessings we receive for our devotion far more easily than we gain them.  Think on the Great Apostasy.  Jesus Christ himself established his church on the Earth.  He gave his perfect life for the cause as did most of his apostles, and yet despite the best efforts of so many good people, the church fell, and the time would not come to restore it for many hundred years.
            So it was with the church, so it is with everything.  You must maintain your testimony if you wish to keep it. When you have a temple recommend, you do not get it for life, nor can you pass it on to anyone else.  It is the same with our God-given freedoms.  President Ronald Reagan once said,

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.

Elder Jeffrey R. Holland said almost the exact same thing at a BYU devotional, “We are always just one generation away from extinction. All we would have to do, I assume, to destroy this work is stop teaching our children for one generation.”  So I hope you see just how much you matter in the Lord’s eyes.  You cannot afford to believe that what you do will not affect the lives of others.  It already has.  The moment you were born your parents started concerning themselves with the work of making sure that you carried on the flames of gospel knowledge, which includes the values on which this nation was founded, and you must engage yourself in this same work if we have any hope that the beliefs we love will survive.
            Let me tell you my own story.  I was fifteen years old.  I was on my way from Geometry class to a study hall in the cafeteria when I saw my friend Dan Devin in the hallway.  Our schedules caused us to cross paths more or less in the same location every day, and we always exchanged a few words of friendship during the few minutes between bells.  He knew I was headed to the study hall where a TV often showed the news; in fact, he was leaving the study hall where I was heading.  He stopped me and said,
            “Logan, you’ve got to go watch the TV in the study hall.  Somebody flew a plane into the World Trade Center or something.  Everyone’s going crazy.”  He sounded confused and excited, like he did not perhaps believe what he was saying himself.
To be perfectly honest, I didn’t know at the time what the World Trade Center was.  I quickly learned.  I recognized the New York skyline on the television and I stood confused as I watched one of the two tallest buildings in Manhattan smolder in a bent over pile of rubble.  In the next half hour I watched in horror and disbelief as I watched live as the second tower fell.  In the course of a view hours a handful of religious extremists took the lives of thousands of U.S. Citizens.  Their lives ended, and the laws and liberties we claimed to believe in lay in a heap with those broken buildings.
I knew enough about American History to realize that before the attack on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon in Washington, D.C, no foreign entity had attacked the continental United States since the War of 1812.  Nearly two hundred years had passed since that time.  I realized this attack would be recorded as one of the most significant and tragic events in my nation’s history, and it happened during my lifetime.
And that’s when it hit me.  There was no one else.  Sure, my parents had taught me the importance of my freedoms, but they were both beyond the age when they could defend themselves or their children.  In fact, my father had spent six years in the Navy and had arguably already made the best contribution he could have.  The question kept coming to my mind, “Who’s going to fix this?” “Who’s going to stop these people?”  The answer “somebody else” simply was not good enough for me.  That’s when I realized that if I expected this country to continue and if I expected to enjoy the same rights that I did then, that I would personally have to do something about it.
It wasn’t easy for me.  I didn’t believe I could do it at first.  I was a heavy kid, and in truth I got heavier than I was at that time before I took my goal seriously and started losing weight.  At my heaviest I weighed 330 lbs.  I was a big kid.  I didn’t tell anyone I wanted to join the military because I was embarrassed about my weight and that they might make fun of me. 
But I joined the rugby team, I started running. I started going to the gym in the evenings.  I tried to eat right by eating less, not eating out, and skipping dessert.  Eventually I started to lose the weight.  By the end of my senior year I had lost enough weight that I could seriously think about joining the military.
            Now, I didn’t join right away.  I served a mission and I got a college degree.  Both of these have helped me make a more significant contribution to the Army.  But over the course of those six years I never forgot what I wanted to do.  I stayed in shape and studied and learned and prayed so that when the time came I could do what I needed to do.
            I don’t tell you this to brag, but to tell you that my prayers have been answered.  The Lord has gone with me every step of the way. I lead soldiers now.  I love what I do and I love to wear my country’s flag on my shoulder.  I feel that honor every day of my life.
If I may return to Mr. Lincoln’s speech,

We are met on a great battlefield of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.
But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate, we can not consecrate, we can not hallow this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here.

The words “consecrate” and “hallow” mean “to make holy”.  We have spoken already about the consecrating power of sacrifice.  As children of our Heavenly Father we have a natural and righteous tendency to honor the physical locations where this process takes place.  Take the temple, for example.  Within the walls of the temple we make promises that we will give all of ourselves to build the kingdom of God.  We commit ourselves totally to the savior and to our families.  This makes the temple holy, above all because when God accepts our offering His presence is felt there. Many other places also undergo this transformation from the mundane to the sacred.  Our meetinghouses become the host to baptisms and sacrament meetings, and even our homes, if we are doing what we should be, can transform into holy ground where family member learn, accept, and live the gospel.
I understand, in fact, that you have named this location the Sacred Grove.  I presume you named it after the Sacred Grove in upstate New York where one particular spiritual transformation gave birth to the Restoration of the Gospel.  So I wonder, “Is this really a Sacred Grove?”  You see, just calling it that doesn’t make it so.  That is what President Lincoln was saying. The people who gathered at the battlefield of Gettysburg wanted to honor the men who had given their lives for their country by making their cemetery a holy place, but President Lincoln recognized that sacrifice, not words, hold the consecrating power.  They couldn’t honor the cemetery by simply saying, “This is an honorable place.” Only the honorable actions of the soldiers who fought there could do that.
Similarly, the church teaches that the words of a baptismal or sacramental prayer to do not wipe away a person’s sins, nor even the physical act of the ordinance.  These merely serve as symbols for the real internal sacrifice that we hope to make.  So I ask again, “Is this a Sacred Grove?” What are you devoting yourselves to here? Are you promising to become a better disciple of Christ? Are you dedicating yourself to the service of others? On this Fourth of July are you willing to commit to serve this nation in whatever way that you can?  I believe that for some of you, if not all of you, the answer to at least one of those questions is “yes”.  For this reason we are not just in an open space in the woods.  We are in a Sacred Grove.
So will we devote ourselves to true principles?  As President Lincoln said,

It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us—that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion—that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain-...

And so I ask my question of devotion somewhat differently: Have these dead died in vain? Many more men and women have died for the cause of freedom since President Lincoln’s speech and as assuredly as the sun rises we will fight another war.  So, have they died in vain?
Only you and I can answer that question.  We answer it by how we choose to live our lives.  Perhaps you think that the manner in which you live your life has little effect, but as I said before, you cannot allow yourselves to think this.  Girls younger than you crossed oceans, countries, and the Great Plains of the United States to gather in Zion during the days of the pioneers.  Young women like you survived the Exodus from Egypt across Sinai to the Promised Land in Israel.  Young women like you have made a difference.  Young women like you will make the difference.
I’ve now compared in many ways our devotion to the gospel with our devotion to our nation’s ideals.  I did not do this simply because it provides a convenient analogy, or because they share common principles, though that is true.  I compare the two because at their root they are the same, and they rely the one on the other.  We must have liberty to worship according to the dictates of our own conscience.  This country was chosen by God to serve as the home of the Restoration and currently houses the general headquarters of the church. As citizens of this country we have a special responsibility to the world to ensure that our church has a home where its leaders can freely teach the message that God has for his children.
Look at the world.  Look at the places where the church is struggling or does not exist at all and you will find that these same nations are the most oppressive, the least free.  Can you imagine our church accomplishing all the good work that it does if the headquarters were in China, or North Korea, or Iran?  Of course not. So we see that our work as good citizens plays an essential role in the survival of our church.
But this road is a two-way street.  As we said before, the Lord reserved this land, the Land of Promise, for those who obey him.  We cannot hope to retain our freedom if we willfully ignore the God who gave us that freedom, or deny Him His role.  As members of God’s true church we possess special knowledge of God’s will for his children and therefore we have a special responsibility to represent Him in the public sphere.
Some people believe you should not do this.  They say that anyone who allows religion to influence their political views violates the First Amendment.  They viciously pervert our Founding Fathers’ intent in order to advance policies and attitudes contrary to our Father’s will. You must not believe them.
When the framers of the constitution wrote that, “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof…” they had in their minds the memory of England’s Wars of Religion.  Their native land of Britain once had an official religion under the Roman Catholic Church.  Then the official religion became Protestantism.  Then Catholicism again. Then Protestantism again.  At one point people took over the government because they thought the protestant government wasn’t protestant enough.  Through all this the persons in power sought to subjugate, if not outright exterminate their political enemies using religion as a pretext.
The framers did not want this kind of violence or intolerance in their new nation and so they established freedom of religion as one of our country’s basic liberties.  They did not, however, envision a society that would exclude morality from the public sphere.  We should not believe such an absurd lie for two reasons: First, because all ideas and convictions must receive equal treatment as a basic tenet of our republic.  Second, because all of the leaders who have made this country great have all held deep religious convictions.
Concerning the first point, we have in the United States many people of varied backgrounds and beliefs.  Some people care very deeply for the environment.  Others concern themselves entirely with improved treatment for minorities, children, prisoners, or many other people who often have their voice ignored.  These citizens freely pursue these noble causes and their reasons for doing so have no bearing on their ability to influence policy.  To believe that we should limit or ignore certain political efforts simply because their motivations arise from religious convictions constitutes an unequal treatment before the law, and we as members of the church should never accept our being unjustly silenced.
As for the second point, just think what our country would be like if we did silence religious conviction.  Our Found Fathers declared independence because they had God-given rights that no king or democratic majority could overrule.  Without their religious conviction they would have no reason to oppose the crown or parliament because really, what higher power exists than the power of government, or even a democratic majority?
Speaking of more modern times, I am sure you have all heard of Martin Luther King Jr.’s “I Have a Dream” speech, and I am sure you have heard of the Civil Rights movement and the struggle for racial equality.  But have you read the speech? Have you read where Dr. King said:

I have a dream that one day ever valley shall be exalted, ever hill and mountain shall be made low, The rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight, And the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together.

You should see then, that not only must you insist that your moral convictions have a voice in this country, but your faith, as well as the faith of many other people or different religions must influence our nation and its government if we have any hope of our republic’s survival.
I cannot emphasize this enough.  Whether it is attacks on unborn children or the war on the family, Satan is doing his very best to destroy this nation at its core, and you young women have a responsibility to represent Heavenly Father’s side of the argument.

For this reason you must get involved.  Share your faith whenever you can.  Do not be ashamed of it. Refuse to be silenced.  Take this time as youth to educate yourselves in the gospel and in the history of this nation so that when the time comes, you may defend both.  We do not need people who merely agree with a good cause, you must be devoted, because as I said before, there is no one else.  You’re it. Only you, the youth here, the rising generation can ensure, “that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.”  I leave these thoughts with you in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

2 comments: