Sunday, May 29, 2011

Guayaquil Day 3; Cuenca Day 1 (28-29 May 2011)

I did not go salsa dancing.  It turned out, however, to be greatly to my advantage.  As my colleagues informed me the cab driver had no idea how to get to the club that had been scouted out and ended up taking all the cadets to another club which could only be given the compliment of  ''memorable'' and none other. Anyway the next day we spent the morning and afternoon in a city park that was part zoo, part botanical garden, and part recreated historical city.  It was pretty cool but with the end in sight it's hard to convince myself to edit pictures and upload them.  That will probably have to wait until I get back.  We came back to the hotel and I had the chance to read my book and to talk to Ada.  I miss her a lot.

Today we got up a little later, some people went to church but I missed that phone call because I had gone to the hotel gym.  At about 1100 we left for Cuenca.  The drive was incredible.  We drove through the fog for about forty-five minutes before coming out of the cloud cover.  From then on the mountain view above the clouds was fabulous all the way until we came down into Cuenca.  I immediately fell in love with the city.  Architecture from every high point in society is visible, from some pre-Columbian ruins to Gothic and Baroque cathedrals to colonial plazas to early twentieth century homes. OK so I know I said that I wasn't going to bother with photos but this place can only be appreciated by seeing it.  Unfortunately this computer is really slow so you will have to wait for another day.  Sorry. Tonight I will finish The Brothers Karamazov and try to figure out how to get something else to read that I would be dedicated to finishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment