Friday, May 27, 2011

Manta 11-12; Guayaquil 1-2 (May 24-27 2011)

Ok so I really haven't written that much in the last few days.  Since the last time I wrote I spent the first half of our last day in Jaramijó processing patients into the site.  The second half I spent in general medicine.  Like last time, about 2/3 kids, the rest adults.  The next day was the closing ceremony for the operation, even though some of the doctors were finishing up at the site with some left over patients.  We attended the ceremony rather than work with the doctors.  The local translators had us covered.

The rest of the afternoon we spent learning to play Ecuavolei on the beach.  Ecauvolei is like volleyball, but you play with a soccer ball instead.  The net is considered in, but the post is still out.  The only other difference is that one is allowed more time for contact with the ball.  That is, you're allowed to sort of catch the ball and throw it as long as you do it quickly.  It is, however, useless to ask an Ecaudorian exactly how much time one may hold onto the ball, since the answer is always, "eeeeeeh...just a little."  Later that evening we played soccer on the beach with some locals.

The next morning we left for Guayaquil.  It was a three hour ride and I got to read a lot.  I finished the Qur'an a couple of days ago wo now I was reading The Brothers Karamazov.  That book was on hiatus during last semester but now I will most likely finish it before I leave.  Once we got to Guayaquil we went to a small park in downtown filled with iguanas.  After that we visited a Catholic cathedral and managed to get an insider tour that took us up all the way to the highest bell tower.  The last to stories we climbed on ladders.  Not being a huge fan of heights, I loved the view and the pictures I got (sadly, they are on my friends camera at the moment), including  a video of me ringing the bell, but I was also glad to get back on the ground.  We went to the Guayaquil Historical Museum and later that night we saw Pirates of the Caribbean IV.  I was a little disappointed.

Today we climbed up a hill where the colonials had set up artillery in defense against the Spanish.  It's a touristy place now, but it wasn't bad because it was the morning so it was mostly just locals getting ready for the day.  After that we walked down the boardwalk that was right there and walked a couple of miles along the shore in downtown.  We walked back, got in our van, then headed up to the LDS temple.  This evening we are supposed to take a class on salsa dancing.  We'll see how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment